Friday, February 19, 2016

Name Scavenger Hunt


Here's a fun and easy learning game to set up for your child during his/her naptime. Plus, it only take 10-15 minutes of prep time so that leaves the rest of little one's naptime for you to complete that never-ending list of chores.


Use some scrap paper and write your child's name over and over again. Then cut them out. Don't worry about them looking pretty. They're for your 18 month old and she won't care if all the angles are 90 degrees.


Then tape them up around the house where you child might see them. Once naptime is over, help your child find them around the house. Use a basket and prep for Easter hunts!

Talk about each letter and make funny noises for each. For example, when I point to the letter "R" I say "Ruh, ruh, ruh" loudly and enthusiastically and when I point to the "S" and run my finger over the curves of the "S" and hiss like a snake, etc. After making a fool of yourself, remember to finish up by saying their name slowly while pointing to each letter in turn and then repeating their name quickly. For "Rose", I have to explain that the "E" is silent. That's the English language for ya.


After all your letters and name cards have been collected you can keep them for another day. I keep some posted around the house so throughout our normal day we can stop and spell our name. It's the first step to learning the alphabet!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! I wish I had done this with Rett, but I might incorporate the idea for some new site words we're learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Shawnna! I will have to adapt this activity to Rose's abilities as she grows and learns more and more.

      Delete